[C38] Sails - CAL vs Dacron

David Epstein davidepstein at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 6 03:04:49 EST 2012

Larry,

I completely agree with the North designer's opinion regarding the
mainsail.   The C38 main has such a high aspect ratio, the headsails
are what mostly powers the boat.

You may or may not know that when Sid Blinder originally ordered
SuperStar, he specified a boom that was 40" longer than stock.   He
took one look at the sail plan and concluded that the boom was way
too short.   With the larger main, the boat was noticably faster, and
the larger main delivered a significant portion of the boats
power.  It sailed great and was still very well balanced, although in
higher wind conditions, good main trim was more critical in terms of
minimizing weather helm.

We cut the boom to the stock length after PHRF hit us up for nine
seconds per mile on our rating.  We made up for most of the lost sail
area with the larger roach and the top two full length battens (which
quickly became the standard for all C38s).   I have always thought
that the boat would be even better sailing with a longer boom and
large roach, and a traveller mounted directly in front of the
helm.   The problem is that the boat becomes "custom", can't sail in
class events, and is subject to whatever the local PHRF boards decide
are proper ratings.

I have never seriously considered a non-Dacron mainsail, other than
the Kevlar reinforcements in the corners.  Our sailmakers over the
years have pretty much agreed that there was no reason to go with
unobtainium materials and that Dacron was the best choice.   And they
last much, much longer.

As to carbon fiber headsails, I have found that they last much longer
than other high-tech fabrics in terms of keeping competitive shape
and their ability to hold up in larger wind ranges, although I have
not looked closely at the newest materials over the past 5 years or
so.   We used to get about two years of competitive sailing out of
our headsails, and the CF versions have held up to those same
standards for at least twice that long.

Well, that's my 2 cents worth...

David Epstein
SuperStar #122, Marina del Rey