[C38] Facet Fuel Pump pressure

Max Soto maxsoto at gmail.com
Sun Apr 15 16:19:40 EDT 2012

Totally right Tom,

While taking out the pump, I noticed that all the hoses  were all cracked
and also found two broken hose clamps.
Everything should be replaced..
A long time ago, on my father's yacht, we also had the fuel lines taking
air and loosing prime. Turned out that the problem was the shut off valve
from the diesel tank. That also happend to a fellow sailior. He had to
prime his engine every 25 hours, and the valve was the problem. In both
cases, no visible leaks...

Regards, Max

El 14 de abril de 2012 06:36, tdtron at earthlink.net
<tdtron at earthlink.net>escribió:

>  *Hello Group,*
> **
> *If I can be allowed to provide another two cents of my thoughts here, if
> a lift pump is required to keep an engine running, it probably means you
> not only possibly have a bad or intermittent electric lift pump but also,
> and more importantly, air leak(s) between the fuel tank and injection
> pump.  *
> **
> *The loss of prime can be caused by porous old rubber fuel lines as well
> as leaks at hose fittings and in-line filters where bowl gaskets can get
> old and brittle causing leaks.  It only takes a very small amount of air to
> break the vacuum causing a loss of prime to the injector pump.  If you see
> any diesel fuel anywhere between the fuel tank and engine you have probably
> found your leak problem but the amount of diesel spilled will usually be
> amazingly small.  You may not find any diesel on the fuel line at all but
> air can still be encroaching from porous lines or small imperfections in
> filter gaskets, etc.*
> **
> *The original rubber hoses on our boats tend to become porous over
> time causing encroachment of air causing loss of prime.  The hose material
> used on modern outboard fuel lines is much better quality than our original
> rubber hoses and would probably make a good choice for a hose upgrade.*
> **
> *Tom Troncalli*
> *Ex-Mechanic, Retired and tired again*

Max Soto