[C38] Replacing jib halyard

Bruce Liese bliese at kumc.edu
Sun May 20 12:46:58 EDT 2012

C38 List,

I've owned C38s for almost 15 years.  I love C38s and this listserve and have been on it for most of those 15 years.  Our boat, Crusader (#53) is in San Diego and we live in the Kansas City area.

 I've sailed for more than 40 years and have a 100-ton USCG license so I've experienced many different boats in all sorts of sailing conditions.  I currently use New England Ropes Sta-Set for almost every application on my boats.  I've experimented over the years and I find Sta-Set to have the greatest durability, moderate stretch (since I now limit my own sailing activities to cruising, club racing, and an occasional Newport to Ensenada race).  I find that I just don't need the higher tech ropes for the kinds of recreational sailing I do.

I also own a Catalina dealership and full service sailboat shop (specializing in standing and running rigging, deck hardware, sailmaking, etc.).  I'm always reluctant to mention my commercial affiliation on this listserve because I don't want to be perceived as taking advantage of this great resource (by self-promoting).  I'm writing today because the question posed by Pierre is about Sta-Set and I'm such a big Sta-Set fan.  I'm also writing to remind list members that I'll always extend the best possible service and discounts to fellow C38 sailors.  Our shop actually ships merchandise all over the country and we've have had an e-bay sailing store for many years.  You can find our shop at www.KansasCitySailing.com and or check us out on e-bay.

I welcome calls from C38 owners on my cell phone (913-579-5039) or contact me by e-mail.  I promise that our shop will provide very personal service, ship most items to C38 owners for free, and (probably) beat any advertised Internet price on rigging and other sailing gear (deck hardware, furlers, etc.).  Several sailors on this list are already our customers and regularly use our shop as a resource.

Again, please feel free to contact me any time.  I hope this offer is perceived as an expression of my appreciation for all of you because it is!

Very warm regards,

Bruce

Bruce S. Liese
Kansas City Sailing
shop: 785-841-SAIL (7245)
cell: 913-579-5039
fax: 913-831-2699
bruce at KansasCitySailing.com
www.KansasCitySailing.com

>>> Pierre Patino  05/20/12 11:32 AM >>>

Hello All again

Thanks for all the inputs. I'm confident I can pull it off now. I don't have the budget for the more expensive line but since I have a furling jib, once it's up, it's up and I'm willing to tweak once in a while.

Doing the math, the I and J dimensions yielded a 102' halyard length. I definitely won't pass the line to the cockpit since there are no blocks or cleats (or budget) for that. My next purchase pennies are targeted for a Wichard Gybe-easy boom brake... Oh yeah - the woodwork is another topic in itself..

Cheers