[C38] Oil Weight

tdtron at earthlink.net tdtron at earthlink.net
Sun May 20 22:19:17 EDT 2012

Hello Craig and crew,

My father was a Fiat dealer when I was a kid and the little Fiats had a 4 speed transmission and a very low gear ratio.  Our American highways would cause those little cars to redline at highway speeds and people were blowing up engines everywhere, that is EXCEPT our customers.  The Fiat owner's manuals called for 10w30 and we used straight 30 weight in our shop and our customers never lost an engine.  Fiat made a change to straight 30 weight oil for summer use from our shops' warranty experience.

Oils have improved since those days but the fact still remains that the multi weight oils will not protect from hammering as well as a higher viscosity oil.  Multi weight oils were developed for cold climates but I'm convinced that a straight weight oil is better if you keep it in warm climates.

Because you brought up the question and are an obviously intelligent guy, (pilot, sailor, etc.), I expect you came to the same conclusion.

Tom Troncalli