[C38] New Deck Layout

Steve Smolinske SSmolinske at rainierrubber.com
Sat Apr 6 16:52:00 EDT 2013

Finally the project is complete! Really pleased how it turned out,
thought I would share some pics and details.

First thing was to remove all the old hardware and fill all the holes,
There were a few nuts and cap nuts that protruded on the deck from
inside the cabin that secured the hand rails, we removed those and
replaced with barrel nuts for a nice flush deck.   After the hardware
was laid out and drilled we used barrel nuts inside as well to get rid
of all the nuts and cap nuts inside the cabin.  Where ever I removed
hardware from the mast or boom I filled the holes with stainless steel
set screws, with liberal amounts of duralac applied.    The layout is
from outboard port working in:  Foreguy, Traveler, Topping Lift,
Mainsheet  on starboard working in Foreguy, traveler, vang, mainsheet.
The winches on the cabin top were moved as far inboard as we could get
them and Im happy to say that with the dodger up we can now trim the
winches a full 360 with a short handle.  The winches on the deck are for
Jib and  Spin halyards (got them off the mast) so that now the crew can
truly jump the halyards the way they should, rather than fighting with a
short pull and busting knuckles on winches.   I went with the flat four
deck organizer rather than a double stacked to keep everything as flush
to the deck as possible, the double stacked might have provided a little
bit better lead  to the winches but all in all it turned out pretty good
with a nice balance for racing and cruising.

Steve

#312 Peregrine

Seattle