[C38] 3 bladed folding prop

S Orton ssorton at hotmail.com
Mon May 27 20:23:03 EDT 2013

Has anybody tried a 3 bladed folding prop?  Slipstream makes a geared 3 bladed folding prop which should have less drag and be more efficient than a feathering prop.  I've got to go to a three blades to reduce vibration and to make my cutlass bearings last longer-now a geared folding prop is installed.  I typically replace the cutlass every time I haul the boat.  Phil Gay tells me he hasn't replaced his cutlass since replacing his prop with a Max Prop and that was over ten years ago.  What kind of life are the members experiencing?  In the past, I removed the shaft took to a machine shop to inspect for trueness- the machinist did face the flange while mounted on the shaft less than .002", which didn't help.  I have also replaced engine mounts.  All alignment procedures were done on the hard.  The only thing left is to do is an alignment check in the water.  Or again maybe its the 2 bladed prop! Comments please,  Steve O (Santa Susanna,304)