[C38] transmission oil change

David Stoltz sportscinema at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 17 20:55:00 EDT 2013

Hello,
I'm in the process of changing the transmission oil on my 1985 Cat 38. Before I removed the old oil I checked the level and it was up to the line at the bottom of the dipstick.
I was told by a mechanic in Marina Del Rey that it holds one and a half quarts of ATF oil. I added one quart and checked the level which was more than half way up the dipstick,
considerably above what I assume is the full line at the bottom of the stick. Is it possible that it holds less than a quart?

Thanks very much for your help.

David