[C38] welding fuel fuel tanks, California

Don Strong drstrong at ucdavis.edu
Fri Jun 21 10:15:00 EDT 2013

Joe: Five years ago our tank failed with a bunch of little pits of
corrosion on the sides and bottom. I talked to a welding company who
said that California law (I assume liability) makes it prohibitively
expensive to weld on fuel tanks; the guy said "take it to Mexico or
Nevada if you want it welded." I bought a new one fabricated just to fit
from a supplier in New Jersey whom I found in a long list of "marine
fuel tank" fabricator on the internet. Shipping was not much; they are
light when empty.
   My fabricator told me that the fuel tank that failed on Discreet
Charm was a gasoline tank, as indicated by the jury rigged fuel return
and lines. Perhaps my boat had a gasoline engine when new. The 1980
models (and earlier?) have a small tank and lots of stuff down there in
the way of installing a bigger one.
I now have a nice and new18 gallon aluminum tank, with proper venting
and fuel return, and it didn't cost too much. I did the work.
regards, Don

On 6/20/13 10:26 PM, Joseph Launie wrote:
> Steve,
>         Thanks for the tip. Joe
> On 6/20/2013 9:18 PM, S Orton wrote:
>> Joe,  I would first try to repair it.  The leak is most likely at a
>> weld joint and the 6061 aluminum the tank is made of is very
>> weldable.  Before welding, you would need to take the tank to a
>> radiator shop for a through cleaning.
>> Good luck, Steve O

>> Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2013 19:54:47 -0700
>> From: jlaunie at cox.net
>> To: listserve at catalina38.org
>> Subject: [C38] fuel tank
>>
>> while in yard mechanic found fuel tank leaking - will replace anyone
>> know where i can get a tank - preferably plastic to fit for hull 165
>> joe macavity

Donald R. Strong
Professor,
Department of Evolution and Ecology