[C38] taught head stay, then backstay tension

Don Strong drstrong at ucdavis.edu
Tue Jun 25 13:44:19 EDT 2013

Mark:
   The winds are such that we go to weather when embarking on a sail
from the east SFB. Before leaving the dock, I tighten the jib furler by
means of the jib sheet led to port winch on the mast. If you don't have
a furler, then you would perform this tightening when you raise the jib.
Then I then put 1000lbs of tension on the back stay adjuster. This
places more tension on the jib furler, which one can see easily in
reduced sag and sway of the furled jib; 1000 lbs of tension gives a
taught, furled head sail even in a seaway. The backstay tension greatly
improves the performance going to weather. I echo the advice of your
rigger. Too much backstay tension will bend the boat. It causes the head
door to jam shut on Discreet Charm. 1000 pounds on the gauge of our
backstay adjuster does not change the shape of the gap between the head
door and the frame.
   When we head home, I release the backstay tension. This improves
performance before the wind.  I release tension on the jib furler before
disembarking.

Others on the list are much more accomplished sailors than me, and will
give more sophisticated advice.
Regards, Don

Donald R. Strong
Professor,