[C38] head stay tension

Ray Torok torok13731 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 25 16:25:33 EDT 2013

Don and Mark,

Here's some interesting reading.  The guys at Selden (
http://www.riggingandsails.com/pdf/selden-tuning.pdf) recommend some
pre-bend, even for a masthead rig.  They set the capshroud tension at 15%
of breaking, and have a nifty way of measuring it.  They have similar
recommendations on the backstay.

Kemp sails has similar guidance for tuning masthead rigs, and they suggest
freeing the mast at the partners before tuning.

I sure wish I knew what my PO did and why.

Ray