[C38] Climbing mast

Robert Cornelsen robcornelsen at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 8 10:12:42 EDT 2013

Colleagues,

We found that any winch without a self tailing device is unsafe!

Ensure both hoist line and safety line are on winches with a self tailing device and use a locking winch handle.

Since our lines are not routed to the cockpit and only our primary jib winches have self tailing device we have to reroute halyards temporarily when we climb the mast.

 We have attached a heavy duty trunion loop with 4 bolts and a backing plate to the cabin top even with mast to attach a block for hoisting crew up the mast.

We run hoist and safety Halyards down through the deck blocks, through blocks attached to the rails, through the aft turning blocks and back to the self trailing primary Jib winches.

This approach while cluttered reduces the lifting force on the winch by using the turning blocks and makes it easy for one person to handle both lines from the cockpit.

Catalina 38s have dual shives mounted fore and aft of the mast top for 4 internal halyards (2 main and 2 Jib halyards) and two external loops for external (spinaker) halyards.

Select halyards that run inside the mast over the top shives to prevent external blocks separating from the mast while someone is aloft (up the mast).

Ensure both halyards are unobstructed all the way to the mast top (nothing like discovering that one of the halyards selected is looped around the lower stay half way up the mast :( .

If possible select either both jib or both main halyards unless your boat is missing these spare halyards ( good idea to add them back if they are missing).

Inspect halyards and shackles to ensure they are in good shape. Plan to replace/refurbish if they show signs of wear prior to climbing the mast.

When hoisting adjust safety line as you winch in the hoist line. When descending ease the safety line first about 3 feet; then ease the hoist line repeating this process until the climber is down.

While aloft inspect the external blocks and plan to replace if they are defective. Defective shackles may be connected with screw type pins or snap shackles (clevis pins are preferred since the do not work loose over time), or show signs of crosion, or have worn/ damaged shives, or are under sized ( check with rigger to recommend minimum safe working load - since the forces on these blocks are doubled e replaced the original croded 3 inch blocks with Harken Black Magic blocks. )

Remember plan for the worse and think safety.

Rob Cornelsen
Auspicious

Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T