[C38] Punch List

Joseph Launie jlaunie at cox.net
Wed Nov 13 03:08:04 EST 2013

Mark,
     If you are near Santa Barbara come here and take a look at
Macavity. It may well give you some ideas. I cannot help you with the
gear but I can solve your anchor winch problem instantly with a
substitute until you get one.  It is called the racer's windlass. Get
two U hooks. West marine has them, the 5/16 is part number 149211. It
has a closed eye and a long leg.  If 5/16 does not fit in the holes in
your anchor chain, get the 1/4. Tie each hook to a 1/2 inch or so of
dacron or better line (old sheets work great) at least 25 feet long. Any
one can drop the anchor - that takes little muscle. The tough part is
getting it back up.
     Take the anchor line and bring it back to a deck winch. I have 2
Lewmar 40s at the mast but you can take this all the way back to the
primaries. Crank in the anchor line until the chain reachs the bow
roller. Tie off the winch with the line. (W1). Take the hook from the
first line and thread it into the chain and run this to another deck
winch (W2).Crank in W2 until the chain is two-blocked at the winch. Tie
off W2. Undo the anchor line from w1 and take your second hook and
thread that into the anchor chair. Crank in more chain untilW1 is two
blocked. When a big heavy thing shows up after you keep alternating - it
is the anchor. Joe   (To be salty -sing "What do you do with a drunken
sailor?" while you do this. It is an anchor round which is why a
repeating lyric is "Hey, Hey up she rises".