[C38] OOR

Steve Smolinske SSmolinske at rainierrubber.com
Fri May 16 01:38:28 EDT 2014

Wow! We just finished the OOR, saw gale force winds, it blew the whole
race, downwind at the start clocked to a reach that night, turned in the
straits and ran downwind.  We wrapped (I wrapped) the spinnaker tore it
at the start then ran #3 on pole until the wind clocked around when we
put up the heavy #1.  We finished 16th in the fleet of 32 (1 DNS and 1
dropped out with a broken rudder) highest wind speed 38, highest boat
speed 15+ for a finish in 28 hours 20 minutes for 193 miles.  I'll say
one thing our boats are stout and she sure beat us up with that nasty
little tendency to want to round up.  (one little pull to weather,
second little pull to weather a little stronger...........start over
steering before she bites in on that third pull) She took the waves and
weather like nobody's business made some new nasty sounds that woke me
up in the middle of the night.  At one point it sounded like the rig
snapped or the boom broke, I went back to sleep after realizing the on
deck watch wasn't calling for all hands and where chatting away as
normal.   She kept on sailing without any damage other than the
spinnaker.  Waves were nuts that night I handed off the wheel and told
the new driver steer your best to keep it between 300 -360 magnetic.
If she had some of her hips in her butt she would be one mean machine.
Attached is  graph showing data points for every five seconds of the
race starting with the warning gun.  Pretty fun ride not to take
anything away from our competitors but had I not mucked up the start
(cost us about an hour and a half) I believe we would have been in the
running for second in class and something like 10-12 in fleet.  Not that
it matters it was just a whole lot of fun!

Steve

Peregrine #312

Seattle