[C38] Forward hatch cover

Steve Smolinske SSmolinske at rainierrubber.com
Thu Mar 27 01:19:31 EDT 2014

Not necessarily the forward hatch but a note of interest on the main
salon hatch and the smaller ones in the head and inboard of the hanging
locker. A few years ago not wanting to replace I pulled them, modified
and painted.   (yes aluminum can be painted if done correctly and it
still looks new after three years),  I replaced all the gaskets but more
importantly on the smaller ones welded a skirt around the bottom so that
sheets wouldn't foul in them while tacking and I also added a cross
support on the smaller ones similar to the main salon.  I found that as
crew walked over them the plexi glass would flex and become loose.
After one race on the delivery home I noticed that you could push the
plexiglass out of the frame, this after having just been rebedded within
a month or so.   If anyone is taking on the project of refurbishing
hatches and painting, a few quick tips:

Painting:

1)      Sand to bare aluminum

2)      Paint zinc chromate right after sanding to prevent the aluminum
from oxidizing

3)      When dry paint two coats of primer sand lightly between coats

4)      Paint

Bedding plexiglass

1)      There is an etching agent specifically for plexiglass and
sikaflex without it you get a substandard bond

Photo attached of the modifications to the smaller hatches.

Steve

#312 Peregrine

Seattle