[C38] Anchor Windlass

Dick Kilroy dickkilroy at comcast.net
Fri May 23 18:00:31 EDT 2014

Richard: I installed a Laffrens Progress 1 on Dashaway Hull number 193. It was installed just aft of the anchor well. There was just enough room to allow the motor to be in the anchor well.

The two switches were installed Port and Starboard of this location. It worked fine for about 10 years at that point the motor failed because the chain was hitting the motor both on the upward and downward motion. The motor has since been replaced.

This location allowed me to bring the anchor in with a windlass and then stack the chain while kneeling aft of the windlass.

The Progress 1 is no longer available but I am sure with research you will find another that you can install this way.

It certainly beats hauling the chain by hand, good luck whatever direction you go

Dick