[C38] Electrical Problem

Tom T. tdtron at earthlink.net
Sat Jun 7 14:41:38 EDT 2014

Hello Rich,

I think you may have already answered your own question about possible
problems with the harness going to the engine control panel.  The
original wiring system was dangerous when the boats were new and only
get more dangerous with time.  Eventually the harness can fail causing
possible dire consequences.

Not only are the plugs on the original harness prone to failure but the
long length of wire going from the alternator to the panel and then back
to the batteries causes a voltage drop which greatly reduces the
vessel's ability to recharge the batteries.  Owners have been known to
pay for expensive alternator upgrades which only magnify the fire
hazard.  A new harness will be like having a larger alternator without
the expense and also without the extra load on the engine.  There have
been reports of alternator mount failure with larger alternators adding
to the dilemma.

You do  NOT need a whole new engine panel harness.  You only need to
bypass the heavy current lead from the alternator to the panel.  Use a
heavy inline fuse at both the alternator end and the battery end and use
heavy marine grade wire to make a new alternator lead. Marine grade wire
was not used in the past because it was rare and expensive but marine
grade wire is tinned so it is more corrosion resistant and easier to solder.

Since you will not be having a large current going to the panel any
longer, you can still use the existing wires if you want to for running
a volt meter which has almost no load so it will not be fire hazard or
cause failure from corrosion arcing at the connectors. It may be a good
idea to make a whole new harness but the main thing is to get the
charging circuit out of that harness in any case.  Even if you make a
new panel harness, the charging circuit will no longer be part of it.

A volt meter is one additional advantage of the harness upgrade.If you
replace the amp meter with a volt meter, make sure it is a marine unit.
The automotive units will look and work good for a short time before
they fail due to the salt corrosion of marine use.  As a side note, if a
volt meter does fail, it will not kill the charging circuit like an amp
meter will so by changing to a volt meter you will also increase
reliability and safety there also.

The difference in the wiring connection of the volt meter as compared to
the amp meter is that the amp meter was a series fed meter going back to
the batteries while the return leg on the volt meter just goes to the
panel ground which is adequate since there is very little current
through a volt meter.

I wrote a Mainsheet article some years ago detailing the harness upgrade
but I can't remember what year or month.  Maybe another member with
website access  can direct you to the article if it is archived.  In a
nutshell, the main accomplishments of a new harness are:

1,    Shorter and less resistive charging lead from the alternator to
the batteries for more efficient charging.
2.    Elimination of failure prone harness connectors.
3.    No phantom electrical loses from corrosion in the connectors or
amp meter.
4.    A volt meter installed in the engine panel in place of the
original amp meter.  A volt meter will give you better information of
your electrical system.  For instance, if you had a battery with a
broken and shorted cell plate, an amp meter would possibly still show a
good charge rate while a volt meter would show you had low voltage
caused from a problem that needed attention.  Often an amp meter will
give a false sense of security..

Good luck,
Tom Troncalli
Former owner of #95 and now in lurker status
770-356-2223