[C38] photos!

Julian Adams julian at umich.edu
Fri Jun 27 14:11:53 EDT 2014

Yes. I don’t know why Raymarine changed the design of the ST6000 when they
bought the firm, to include a rudder sender unit.    The ST6000 worked fine
without it.  After a couple of years Raymarine did away with the rudder
sender unit and went back to the original ST600 design.

OK, having said that, I installed the rudder sender unit as follows.

1.     Have a metal shop build you a small piece of aluminum in an arc
(maybe 60 degrees) that is the diameter of the rudder post and attach the
sender arm to it (I can’t remember if mine is screwed on or welded).

2.    Attach the arc with the sender arm attached to the rudder post using
large two “hose clamps”.  You can do this through the stern lazarette – not
too much bad language necessary.

3.    Bay a 1 one meter extension threaded rod the same diameter and thread
(it is metric) to the short one provided in the kit, and throw the short
one away.   Attach the electronic sender unit (black box) upside down under
the floor of the cockpit using West systems epoxy.   Be sure to rough up
the surface well or else it will fall off (but only when you need it the
most).   Do all this through the opening in the stern berth.   Much more
bad language required.

4.    Cut the threaded rod to length screw on the ball joints and attach.
 Remember that since the unit is upside down, and so you need to allow for
this when you attach the extension rod.   Failure to do so will mean it
will work backwards and will result in an extreme amount of bad language in
several tongues.  (I’m speaking from experience).

5.    5. I mounted the fluxgate compass in the galley under that sink and
there has never been a problem with that.

Good luck, and congratulations to the Ticos for their great World Cup
performance so far!

Pictures will follow whenever can get to the boat

[image: AAAsignature2c]

Julian Adams

Department of Molecular, Cellular and Developmental Biology

University of Michigan

830 N. University, Ann Arbor MI 48109-1048

Tel. (734)-763-3431; Fax (734)-647-0884; Cell (734)-239-3627

E-mail julian at umich.edu