[C38] Redundant Fuel Pumps

Tom T. tdtron at earthlink.net
Sat Jun 28 17:29:35 EDT 2014

This discussion on fuel pumps reminds me of a situation I experienced on
a cruise around Florida back in the '80's.

I was on a Contessa 26 that belonged to a friend.  We had fuel pump
failure in Ft. Lauderdale and we had to sail to a temporary berth in a
canal while trying to avoid a collision with million dollars yachts
everywhere.

We found that the automotive style mechanical pump on the Petter single
cylinder engine had a ruptured diaphragm and was sucking air.  It was on
a weekend and there was no pump to be found so we lifted and remounted
the fuel tank high enough in the port sail locker so the tank could
gravity drain to the injector pump.  The engine cranked up and ran
perfectly  to continue our cruise through the Keys.

My friend who owned that boat finally sold it and moved up to a larger
boat.  When he sold the little Contessa, the gravity fuel solution was
still in place and he never replaced the mechanical lift pump. I wonder
if he warned the new owner that motor sailing on a starboard tack
wouldn't work?

Tom Troncalli