[C38] Max Prop

Phil Gay eyriepg at comcast.net
Thu Jul 3 00:48:43 EDT 2014

Like Don’s Discrete Charm, I have the Yanmar 3GM30.  My maxprop is a 15” 3 blade.  PYI recommended a pitch of 11.4”, which I used for 5 years,  but it was too low and I could quickly reach the 3600rpm at which the maximum horsepower is rated before getting close to max hull speed.  About 3 years ago I re-pitched it to the next increment of 12.5” and I get a little higher cruise speed and can still reach 3600rpm.

I have noticed when assembling the prop that if I get too much grease inside, the blades don’t feather very easily.  Initially, I thought I had assembled it wrong.  But, the same thing happened with his maxprop.

Phil Gay

C38 049 Que Linda

Everett, WA