[C38] C38 Mast Base Repair

littlebreeze@comcast.net littlebreeze at comcast.net
Thu Jul 23 12:49:49 EDT 2015

Bob, I had my mast off and the plate you spoke of is cast aluminum on my hull (1982 vintage, hull number 139).  It was cast in such a way the bottom of the mast inserted into it and prevented the mast from wandering.  There is a international perimeter lip about 1/2-3/4 inch tall and a drain on each side of the mast.  The drains are too small.  I'm sure if your has to be sacrificed to remove it, a duplicate can be made from flat stock aluminum and then either powder LPU coated.

Good luck and take plenty of photos.

Kerry Grimes
139, Little Breeze
San Francisco