[C38] Leak at the toe rail?

EarthLink saintpeg at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 30 21:20:33 EDT 2015

Greetings all,

We have an onboard issue that has just come to our attention - looking for some input.

Rory likes to take IRIE out for the Wednesday night beer cans, which is all well & good except that during these friendly but competitive races, she often gets heeled over far enough to put her toe rail in the water. There must be a leak somewhere between the hull & deck b/c we are getting water under the stbd settee. We only noticed because a couple of blocked weep holes in that locker kept the water from draining to the bilges, & the stuff stowed inside sat in it long enough to start rusting. We haven't established if the same thing happens when she is heeled to port.

So, we seem to have a leak at least on the starboard side. My guess is it's at the join of deck, toe rail & hull, though at this point we don't know for certain.

What do we do now? My thought is, first of all, shoot some water at the area in question to see if we can pinpoint exactly what is going on & where; but after that, we are at a loss. My suggestion of never heeling her over that far might work when I am on board, but likely won't in the heat of battle. It certainly doesn't do anything to fix the problem.

 Any & all thoughts on this are most welcome...

Thanks,

Peggy & Rory
#231 IRIE
San Francisco

Cryptic autocorrects courtesy of my iPad