[C38] Looking at a C38 - keel bolt questions

Peter Hamilton peter.f.hamilton at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 13:16:52 EST 2015

Hi all,

I’ve been searching through the archives here & appreciate what a great resource this list is!

I’m about to put an offer down on a C38 here in San Diego (http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1983/Catalina-38-2901919/San-Diego/CA/United-States#.VkPoOoTWv2D).  It’s in very good shape with a lot of recent work (standing/running rigging, winch refurb, motor refurb, bottom paint, etc.)  First time I looked at the keel bolts they were all nice and shiny.  But when I stuck my head in the bilge to look at the forward bolts by the mast they appear to be in much worse shape (see attached pic).

I’m going to go back today to hit them with a wire brush and see if the threads are pitted, but thought I should solicit some expert advise.  Obviously I’ll get a survey done (please let me know any good surveyors you trust in SD!), but if this is a serious issue I’d just as soon save the trouble.  There are 7-8 C38s on the market in SoCal right now!

Thanks & great to meet you all.

Pete