[C38] C38 Mast Base Repair

Ray Torok torok13731 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 25 12:50:45 EDT 2015

Hi Bob,

Some clarifications:  When I put it all back together, the glassed wooden
base was not covered by the cabin sole.  I actually enlarged the hole in
the cabin sole that the mast made when it dropped. I wanted to take the
cabin sole out of the load path, so it was not supporting the mast
vertically.  I glued shims made of 1/8" plywood on top of the base to bring
the base of the mast back up to the level where it was when it was on top
of the cabin sole.  On top of that I epoxied a layer of fiberglass mat and
the shoe for the heel of the mast sits on top of that.  I did attach the
step to the underside of the cabin sole, so that the cabin sole could share
lateral loads, primarily fore-and-aft loads, with the mast step.  I made a
small cover plate that is screwed to the cabin sole and covers the hole
that the mast goes through.

I have read accounts where they had to cut the bottom inch or so off the
mast to remove corrosion, and possibly to get the shoe off.  Then they had
to add pieces to the step to bring the mast up to the proper height. That
might  be something for you to consider.  You might also think about
cutting away enough of the step just below the cabin sole so that the
screws that hold the shoe in won't hold the mast down when you pull it.
It's a pain to get to that area.  I used both a new access hole on the
starboard side and the access through the settee on the port side, after
removing the holding tank.  I think the cabin sole can support the weight
of the mast as long as the shrouds are not loaded up.

In my case the shoe was anodized aluminum with webs that fit inside the
mast to center it.  I'll try to find a picture.  When they pulled the mast
I was worried that the shoe would be more or less welded inside the mast,
but I got lucky.  The mast came right off it.  (The Spartite holding the
mast at the deck was a whole different story.) The shoe was held onto the
step by 6 lag screws to take lateral loads.  I used lots of 4200 when
reinstalling the lag screws to make sure water coming down the inside of
the mast could not get into the wood.   I also drilled new holes on the
front and back of the mast at the bottom to let water out so it can drain
to the bilge.

I will look through the photos and send those separately.  Hopefully that
will help.

Ray