[C38] How do I tell if my heat exhanger is not working?

1derful at comcast.net 1derful at comcast.net
Thu Aug 6 16:46:22 EDT 2015

I'll try it.
Thanks
Patrick

----- Original Message -----

From: "Mark Lewis" <mwlewis2025 at gmail.com>
To: "Catalina" <listserve at catalina38.org>
Sent: Thursday, August 6, 2015 12:28:49 PM
Subject: Re: [C38] How do I tell if my heat exhanger is not working?

Well, if the welds or the tubes inside the exchanger were cracked it could allow fresh water to mix with sea water and be pumped overboard. Sea water is used to cool the fresh water that runs through tubes inside the heat exchanger, and then the sea water is pumped overboard along with the exhaust via a thru hull at the stern. I'd remove the exchanger and clean and inspect it. It's not that difficult to remove. There are also gaskets on the ends of the exchanger that could leak. I had a westerbeke 33 that had a pencil zinc in the exchanger. They would corrode and fall off inside and block the tubes.