[C38] tide reversals in SFB

Tom Troncalli tdtron at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 10 15:59:53 EDT 2015

That Rocna anchor looks like the Delta we used for years but unlike the
Delta plow the Rocna has a bale which would be great for a trip line.

Skip mentioned below that he is concerned about the Rocna plow making a
shallow row but in the many times we used our Delta plow it never
dragged once.  The harder the pull, the deeper it digs down. My boat was
in Florida and our holding grounds were almost always a sand bottom
where both plows and fluke anchors really hold well once they bury
deeply.  I have no personal experience with the Super Max anchor Skip
mentioned but it seems to be an interesting breed of of a plow which
appears to possibly hold quicker without having to bury deeply first.

Regardless of the type of anchor used, my own experience has been that a
good chain rode, even a short one in a chain to rope rode, is
indispensable for a good set and holding power and the more chain the
better.

We had a Delta plow and our other anchor was an aluminum Guardian which
is a less expensive model of the Fortress anchor.  In heavy seas I had
to use the Guardian fluke anchor while under way because the Delta
traveled stored on the bow roller and if we plowed the bow in a wave it
would damage the retainer pin holding the anchor allowing the anchor to
free itself from the roller.  The fluke type Guardian was lighter and we
had it mounted higher on bow pulpit brackets out of the way of the waves
but still on the bow ready when needed.

There are almost as many anchor types as opinions and I think most
anchors have merit.  Most that is.  The anchors on my navy ship, the USS
Yosemite AD19, used a crude "Navy" anchor which was incredibly heavy and
had no holding advantage other than brute weight but somehow they
worked.  Enough weight will hold anything.    We swung on the hook in
Guantanamo Bay for a month and even in heavy winds we held with the many
tons of anchor and chain.  I have seen small navy type anchors on small
vessels and they have about as much holding power, or less, than a
mushroom "lunch hook" and are awfully heavy for their holding power.

For my own use, I have had good results with both the Danforth fluke
types and the plow anchors and I have no opinion which is better other
than I like the light weight of the Danforth types like the aluminum
Guardian which is easier to handle and less weight on the bow.  Most of
my anchoring experience has been in the Bahamas and Florida which both
offer sand bottoms so my experience is limited in marl, rock, mud, etc.
which others of you may experience.

Tom Troncalli