[C38] Stanchion types

Pierre Patino pierre.patino at gmail.com
Sat May 21 22:59:38 EDT 2016

Hello All

We broke a stanchion last week. The port side gate one. I was going to ask
the forum but thought this should be easy so I just ordered one from
Catalina Direct. The site said "standard upright" so I just ordered it.

After removing the galley cabinetry and installing said stanchion, I
realized that it did not point in the same way as the starboard one (port
is straight, starboard is tilted inwards and towards the bow). I think the
starboard one has also been deformed by usage. It was fun dealing with the
lifelines after that....

Anyway, my question is: What are the original C38 stanchions like? Tilted,
straight, mix ?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

PS - I had to "remove" the cabinets below the stanchion. I just could not
reach the outboard nuts with my tools and fingers. I wonder if there's a
special tool that I'm missing that's not the right-angled nut ratchet...