[C38] 2016 nationals

Charles Finn charles at finn.ws
Sat Jan 23 09:11:59 EST 2016

It is not easy to host/run a nationals!  You need at least 6 boats
really committed and as Joe L. says a yacht club to host/run the race.
You need a race committee and rules and a course with a race boat for
start/finishes.  Add that we usually have tee shirts and other
paraphernalia and of course the national trophy and you see why this is
a bigger deal than it looks! This race was held in Southern CA for
years, but the competition gradually thinned out to about the same 5
boats year after year until even those petered out.  We then held it
twice in SF during Americas Cup and then tried to move to the Northwest,
but they couldn't field the fleet.  Last year was San Francisco, but as
I stated earlier they had conflicts. It really takes about a year to
gear up for one of these and the reason we likely will be in SF this
year is they have all the above mentioned ingredients settled and there
are at least 10 C38s in the bay.
All that being said, if a group of C38s can get it together I am more
than happy to move Nationals!  Please recall that our intention was to
move it from location to location in order to involve more of our
membership!  So, if you can get this together, please submit a proposal
to me (charles at finn.ws) and we can begin the process!
Chuck Finn
Commodore