[C38] oil or varnish for exterior wood

Charles Finn Charles at finn.ws
Mon May 2 09:56:50 EDT 2016

I really really would rather be sailing than varnishing!  And I do
prefer my teak look to be one that looks like varnish, so of course I am
always in the cycle of nice new varnish that needs serious work about
every 2-3 years.  Bummer!

So, I like everyone else have been pursuing the holy grail of great
looking teak with no work!  And, I am happy to announce I have found a
technique that is extending my cycle by years!

So now that I have your undivided attention, here are the steps.

1.  Take the teak down to bare wood.  I usually remove the rails, etc.
if possible because I like getting all sides.

2.  Buy some Smiths Clear Penetrating Epoxy Sealer
http://www.smithandcompany.org/CPES/  and put at least one coat on the
wood.  It is extremely volatile as about half of what you put on
evaporates.  Only use this stuff in well ventilated areas or best
outside as it really smells and I am certain it is not good for you!
This stuff really works and it essentially seals the wood by penetrating
and hardening rather than coating the surface.

3.  Use your preferred varnish.  I use Epifanes, but I also like Awlgrip
(except I am too cheap to pay for it!).   I put on at least 3 coats and
should do 5 if I have the time which I never seem to have these days.
Remember when you put on multiple coats that if you don't let the inner
coats harden....  you have just wasted your time putting on more!  I
also don't sand until the next to last coat unless there is a run.

So, this is what I get.  A much harder varnish finish that withstands
banging without chipping due to the epoxy.  The epoxy also ensures
moisture in the wood does not rise and peel the varnish.  The varnish
also appears deeper, but I can't explain why this is the case.  And
after 2 years I still have great looking teak!

Chuck Finn
Mighty Quinn  #114
Great Lakes