[C38] water in my bilge

littlebreeze littlebreeze at comcast.net
Sun Jul 10 00:09:41 EDT 2016

So was that 4" of water in the bilge under the salon, or 4" of water above the salon sole?
Kerry

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy S7.
-------- Original message --------From: Patrick Harpole <1derful at comcast.net> Date: 7/9/16  20:41  (GMT-08:00) To: Catalina 38 Listserve <listserve at catalina38.org> Subject: Re: [C38] water in my bilge
Water's coming intoThe bilge from port side. There's a crack at the stern port side of bilge opening.Tomorrow I will take aLook with fiber optic flexible scope.I guess the only way toTell if it is fresh orSalt water is to taste it.Right?There was 4" of water in salon. Float switch didn't work but manualSwitch drained boat
Sent from my iPhone
On Jul 9, 2016, at 12:55 PM, mark turner <empty9254 at hotmail.com> wrote:

Is it salt or fresh? If salt, cockpit drains/rudder and shaft glands all possibilities... give away sign is constant wet gleam in the deep V of the hull coming down into the rear of the bilge. If fresh - then hot water tank connections or internal drum rusted
 through or leak somewhere else in the fresh water circuit. Also mast is good at letting water in heavy rain. Air conditioning can also put fresh water in bilge.If you have whale foot pump as back up in galley, that is a common site, as diaphragms get small
 hairline crack that is not easily seen. will drip and then spray copiously while you pump. If smells of urine then holding tank/head circuit.but sounds like holding tank if smells of urine. I had that once, found hose had cracked in place I couldn't see. Last
 bilge filler was whale footpump. Only found it after many hours of scrabbling round when I had second prson to pump while I watched
<OutlookEmoji-☹.png>