[C38] Electrical fire

Charles Finn Charles at finn.ws
Wed Oct 11 16:04:43 EDT 2017

Patrick,

Sorry to hear of this!

The first thing I would try to figure out is WHY/WHERE the fire (short)
originated.  The reason is you might have had a problem elsewhere in the
boat that overloaded and then melted/shorted behind the panel.

Second is to take a close look at the wiring behind the panel. Is is
really really marine wire?  Or is there some stereo wire, etc. back
there.....

Third thing to consider is a re-wire of your boat.  Take out as much of
the old stuff as you can manage and replace it with modern electronics.

For sure go to circuit breakers.  Blue Sea Systems and Sea Dog both make
panels (Sea Dog are less expensive).  Remember to get at least 150% more
circuits than the original as most assuredly you or someone had put more
electronics in and simply added them on to existing wiring.

The good news is there is a lot of room behind the panel and under the
floor to string wire!

Good luck!

Chuck Finn
Mighty Quinn   #114