[C38] Dock Lines

Charles Finn charles at finn.ws
Fri Sep 28 13:27:25 EDT 2018

Larry,

I consider one of the design errors S&S and Catalina made on our boat is
the bow mooring/dock cleat setup.  Works great at anchor or on a
mooring, but requires we run dock lines over the rail when at a dock,
which most boats are these days.  Frankly, I don't think any chaffing
will work well sawing on the rail.  So, I installed a couple guides in a
portion of the rail that was easily removed.  They are quite secure as
they are bolted through the bottom portion of the rail.
This still does not answer the problem of where the bow cleat is
located, but at least I am not sawing off lines!  I did this a couple
years ago after finding significant wear on a new set of lines over just
one summer.  So far, I have seen no chaffing in two years even though we
have had some pretty violent weather!
BTW,  I vote for leather chaffing gear as fire hose is water proof and
most chaffing failure is due to the heat generated that can be cooled if
the chaffing gear lets water into the line.

Chuck Finn
Mighty Quinn  #114
Bayfield, Lake Superior