[C38] Electrical Issue

Jay Sorensen jdsorensen7 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 15:18:44 EST 2019

Hi Chuck and All,

Thank you Chuck for your recommendation.  It did take a bit more
diagnosis.  It wasn't the 4G ground wire to the engine, although it was a
bit corroded, but your suggestion of looking for a ground issue was correct!

I did jump the battery to the engine and the circuit completed.  Yeah!  But
when I cleaned up the ground wire terminus at the engine and removed the
jumper wire, no complete circuit.  What the heck?  Upon further
investigation the ground wire from the panel to the battery was
bad/marginal and when I had nudged it when clipping on the original jumper,
it barely completed the circuit from the panel. When nudged the other way
it did not.  From there it was a very quick fix.

So many thanks for the direction to look at the grounds.  It was surprising
to see lights work through the battery charger circuit, going to the same
ground wire, but not the battery circuit, but I'm very glad the problem is
fixed.   If you are ever in San Diego I owe you a beverage of your choice!

Thanks!...............Jay
Catalina 38 #311,  Broad Reach