[C38] Mysteri’s Cockpit Sole Etc.

W. Reed Smith wrsmithjd at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 11 15:17:50 EDT 2019

All:

Ahoy!  Probably not doing this right, but what the hell!

My friend Sean McNamara (in pic) is an engineer with “skills “.

I bought Mysteri about 3-4 years ago.  Great price, no idea of extent of rot/ termite damage ( survey totally worthless).

Cockpit sole was soft, pedestal wobbled, did not worry me as much as others because pedestals all wobble at least a little in my experience.

Anyway, Sean figures out that the boards I was viewing from port side lazerette under the sole would basically slide out ( totally rotten, old dry termite nest).  See pic of “slot” after old boards came out.  New “upper” board in pic next to my Chief Engineer.

I didn’t want to, but Sean said disconnect everything and do pedestal at same time.  Pics.

Great to have a friend that knows what he’s doing!!!

Anyway, my first question:  Does anybody know whether there is a gasket ( or sealant) that goes under the pedestal on the sole?  See pic, looks like there was none.

Thanks!

Reed