[C38] Electrical System Troubleshooting

Don Strong drstrong at ucdavis.edu
Tue Jan 22 12:07:04 EST 2019

Jay: Weird but not surprising. Wiring on a 30 year old boat in salt
water is bound to be weird. I could tell tales. Corrosion in wires and
connectors that is not readily visible was be a cause in many of my
challenges. I will be interested in hearing the cause of your distress.
Don Strong
C38 San Francisco Bay

On 1/22/19 8:47 AM, Jay Sorensen wrote:
> G'Day All,
>
> We've owned Broad Reach, a 1985 C38 with a fairly standard electrical
> system for about 6 years.  I've diagnosed several electrical issues to
> date but this one is something a little different.  I replaced our
> aging starting battery with an AGM group 24 battery on Saturday.
> During our outing on Sunday our engine started fine with Battery #1
> (AGM starting battery), but when attempting to turn on any system via
> the panel there was no power.  Try battery #2, no power.  Try "Both",
> no power.  Check the battery voltage using the panel voltmeter, no
> power shown at the voltmeter while the engine was running. Come back
> to the dock, stop the engine, voltmeter shows 12+ volts power at the
> panel from both batteries at the voltmeter.  With shore power on the
> panel will power up when jumping to the battery charger cables running
> to the battery switch.  Panel will not power up when powered directly
> to either main battery cable.  Battery cables showing 0.1-0.2 Ohms of
> resistance but I'm not sure if that is normal.  Turned off shore
> power, started motor again with switch to #1, started fine, alternator
> is charging fine.  Weird.  Next I'll try jumping directly to the
> batteries and bypass the cables but it seems odd that both cables are
> having issues when they show good voltage.  Frustrating!  Any
> suggestions??  Maybe something where the engine electrical system
> interacts with the system power panel inputs??  Many
> Thanks!...............Jay

Donald R. Strong
Professor,
Department of Evolution and Ecology