[C38] Replacing winch

Pierre Patino pierre.patino at gmail.com
Fri Dec 18 21:19:40 EST 2020

Hi all and happy everything!

I was searching for information on the standard winches on our boat in the
past Catalina38 listserve messages and I found out that some of us have a
Lewmar 30 (or other) as the mainsheet winch. My boat has the Lewmar16
instead (standard?).
I decided to get a new Lewmar30 CST Evo since it was on sale and because my
wife has a harder time cranking on the Lewmar 16 and sometimes I need to
winch faster when jibing.

So the question is, should I put the new winch where the old one was
(starboard side of the deck just above the chart table) which would mean
that I would have to drill some new holes and plug the old ones or should I
put the new winch on the port side athwart of the old one. In the latter
case I would have to move some blocks too.

I know that there is no simple "best" answer but I'm happy to read opinions.

Thanks!