[C38] Backstay chainplate removal

Charles Finn Charles at finn.ws
Sat Oct 3 11:50:10 EDT 2020

I looked into this a few years back as I had some gel cracks that sort
of suggested my backstay chainplate was in trouble.  My good news was
the wooden knee was just fine and I was just being a worry wort
expecting no working of the hull cracks to manifest after 40 years!
There was elongation of the bolt holes in the wood knee, but no rot.   I
did however scope out the project and it is substantial!  I was told you
probably would need to cut out the knee from the outside of the boat in
order to sufficiently reinforce and connect the new knee (which was in
my fresh water case going to be aluminum).  I was told that wooden knees
were common but a stupid idea much like that wood under our mast step!
Indeed, it was are real achillies heel for the J boats in the 80s as
well.  I was givne an estimate back then of $10,000, but I would have
most certainly done the job myself as it is really chainsaw and fiber
glassing and then cosmetics (ok, it would be a LOT of that! But hey this
is Max we are talking to here!)

If I were to take this on today, I would also address the problem of the
rudder post on our boats which is another problem as there is no
bearing... just stainless rudder post wearing on fiberglass which in my
case has required insertion of mylar sheet shims to get rid of the wear
slop.  I would have the post removed and replaced with bearing and a
water seal.  I would also take this opportunity to install the autopilot!

Regards,
Chuck Finn
Mighty Quinn #114
Great Lakes