[C38] Replacing winch

Charles Finn Charles at finn.ws
Sun Dec 20 15:06:20 EST 2020

I have my lines running to the cockpit as I single hand a lot. Starboard
side of cabin has my dedicated mainsail halyard winch as I like to slack
the main down wind and tighten up of course going upwind.

Port side is my mainsheet winch which I find necessary due to the curved
traveler which is one of the dumber things Catalina did on our boat!
Steve S. installed a straight traveler and is is so much easier to use!
Right next to the winch is my line to  my garhauer vang, which is really
helpful for sail trim!

I tried putting all of my lines on the starboard side as it would save
me money by only having to buy one self-tailing winch, but it is amazing
how easy it is for someone to get confused and let go the wrong
clutch!!!  After just a couple mistakes... and yes, I was one of the
people who let loose the main halyard when trying to control the
mainsheet!  I decided to revert to starboard and port control areas.

When I take apart a winch, I am careful to build a "dam" out of towels
to trap the bits that pop out just when you least expect it.  This is
really important when servicing the big winches in the cockpit and a
drape towels over the lifelines and on the deck to stop those bits from
bouncing on the deck and inevitably heading over the side!   One other
bit of advice is there really is a problem with too much grease on the
winch!  Use just enough to coat the parts but no more!

I want to say again that I wouldn't be without my Milwaukee M28 1/2 inch
angle drill!  While I would love to install electric winches, I just
cannot justify the cost....  So a $500 angle drill works great for both
sheeting and hoisting.  I even hoisted my 110 pound grand daughter up
the mast using the 2 speed winch in low gear.

Chuck Finn
Mighty Quinn #114
Lake Superior