[C38] Changing Portside Main Bulkhead

Charles Finn Charles at finn.ws
Fri Feb 12 12:50:56 EST 2021

Pierre,

Thanks for the compliments from both you and Patrick, but this job
really is a pretty much low skill endeavor!  It really entails unbolting
the old one and using it as a template for the new one. Cutting
tolerances are probably about a 1/4 inch as all the edges are hidden.
It just looks scary!

The port side chain plate and the vent for the holding tank both present
opportunities for leaks that run down the bulkhead and pool water along
it's lower and port side edges which of course eventually causes rot.
The hole for the chain plate to Stay connection is especially a problem
as it is on most boats.  This is certainly an area that needs to be
looked at every year and sealed and re-sealed.  Unfortunately, the
previous owner of my boat was not very attentive and I confess that
neither am I!

Since the bulkhead episode, I have been more attentive, but I now have
some deck compression in that area due to some deck core rot and I can
no longer get a good deck seal.  My plans this summer are to totally
fill in the chainplate hole after a through cleaning and fill it in with
epoxy.  I will then cut a new, smaller opening and re-install the stay.
Again, this is not rocket science.... it just takes a bit of time.
Fortunately with our stay system, I can totally disconnect the outer
stays without the mast falling down!

Best,
cf