[C38] 2nd time Delrin sleeve bearings replacement

Pierre Patino pierre.patino at gmail.com
Sun Jan 30 19:08:44 EST 2022

Hi All
This is the second time in 12 years I've had to replace the Delrin sleeve
bearings in the binnacle. It was getting near impossible to shift
(forward/reverse) or throttle the engine because of the enormous torque
needed to spin the handles.

I took the binnacle's top part out and attempted to remove the inner levers
that attach to the cables and I was completely unable to do so at port. I
had to go to a friend's machine shop to use bigger tools. It's as if the
Delrin sleeve bearing had swollen so the inner diameter squeezed the levers
very tightly.

I put new sleeve bearings (kindly provided for free by Edson) and the inner
levers now spin freely.

I've asked this before but I need to ask again, am I the only one? Is there
something I should be doing to avoid this?

[image: binnacle.jpg]