[C38] Engine Issues

Richard Gershberg rickg at gershberglaw.com
Fri Aug 5 15:00:07 EDT 2022

This just came up a few weeks ago. Momentous has the same Universal Diesel 30 (24 or 25 HP). On a return to the slip after running the engine about 20 minutes, all of sudden the engine started to sputter and then died. It would restart and run a little and then die. We were able to get it started long enough to get into the slip.
We decided it was the fuel pump.
We looked at the filters which looked ok and started up and it ran for as long as it needed on the next run so we thought we were ok. Maybe it was a fluke of some sort....

The following week we were on our way to a race, 3 motoring hours away and the engine died and would not restart.
While under sail, my engineer son rebuilt the fuel pump, taking it apart and cleaning it.
There was gunk that had gotten through the filters, possibly a buildup of fuel winterizing-stabilizing products.
When the pump  was reassembled it made a terrible loud noise so he took it apart again.
Turns out it was a German manufactured pump so we pulled up the diagram on one of the crew's phone and one the of pieces was upside down.
After reviewing the diagram he put it back together, no noise and after 5 or so progressively improving starting attempts the engine ran fine. Whole operation took about 50 minutes, while under sail.
Each time he put it back together we added fuel to the line in an attempt to reduce any air pockets.

We made it to the "Race To Baltimore" (which started from the mouth of the Magothy River-Chesapeake Bay) with 2.5 minutes left before our starting time would expire!

Since then the engine starts right up, purrs like a kitten and runs fine.
BTW the fuel filter showed no dirt at all throughout the process.

I am sending this without pictures or model numbers but if needed I can pull such the next time I am on the boat.

Hope this helps.
Good luck,
Rick

Richard L. Gershberg, Esquire
Gershberg & Associates, LLC
11419 Cronridge Drive, Suite 7
Owings Mills, Maryland 21117
Tel:  410-654-3850
Fax: 410-654-3880
rickg at gershberglaw.com<blocked::mailto:rickg at gershberglaw.com>
  [cid:image001.png at 01D8A8D9.D5E146F0]  [cid:image005.png at 01D8A8DC.0CAC2770]  [cid:image004.png at 01D8A8D9.D5E146F0]
THIS E-MAIL MAY CONTAIN PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY NAMED ABOVE. IF THE READER OF THIS MESSAGE IS NOT THE INTENDED RECIPIENT, OR THE EMPLOYEE OR AGENT RESPONSIBLE TO DELIVER IT TO THE INTENDED RECIPIENT, YOU ARE HEREBY NOTIFIED THAT ANY REVIEW, DISSEMINATION, DISTRIBUTION OR COPYING OF THIS COMMUNICATION IS PROHIBITED. IF YOU HAVE RECEIVED THIS COMMUNICATION IN ERROR, PLEASE IMMEDIATELY NOTIFY US BY TELEPHONE OR RETURN THE ORIGINAL MESSAGE TO US AT THE ABOVE E-MAIL ADDRESS. THANK YOU.