[C38] Main Sheets

Charles Finn charles at finn.ws
Fri Jan 7 13:30:56 EST 2022

Larry and Max,

I replaced my mainsheet several years ago and I recall I went with 110
feet of zero-stretch line.  I may be mistaken but the cordage listed in
the printout Max supplied is in line with what I bought.  Am I wrong?

Also, getting rid of the wire with all line reduced somewhat the "slap"
noise in the mast.

I also noticed when I changed my line out that the masthead sheave
looked very used.  And this year it has indeed seized (the sheave
bearing hole is badly worn).  There are two sheaves at the top of our
mast (one for mainsheet and one for topping lift).  I got rid of my
topping lift line when I installed a Garhaurer vang, securing the boom
with the mainsheet as a topping lift when not in use. I will move the
mainsheet to the topping lift sheave this spring.  Regardless of what
you decide to do with the topping lift, I suggest you run you new
mainsheet through the topping lift sheave as it gets so little use.

Finally, I would note that like Max, next time I will go with 7/16 as it
is a better fit for the sheave.

Regards,
Chuck Finn
Mighty Quinn  #116