[C38] My toilet is always full

Ray Torok torok13731 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 29 12:23:23 EST 2022

I've had two different versions of this problem.  If it's waste coming back
in from the discharge line, then the joker valve is bad.  One way to deal
with this is to pump a bunch of sea water or fresh water from the toilet to
the holding tank to purge the discharge line of waste, and then open the
fittings to replace the joker valve.

The toilet can also fill from water coming in from the seacock that
provides flush water.  In mine, if someone left the pump handle up on the
toilet, water could slowly come back in this way.  Note that if this
happens and the top of the toilet is below the waterline, and no one is on
the boat, this could cause a really bad day.  I ended up raising the toilet
to make sure the top was above the waterline, and adding a ball valve to
the inlet hose inside the head (more convenient than having to fool with
the seacock all the time).

Ray Torok
formerly C38 #37