[C38] Bottom paint

Michael Norcross manorcross at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 12:21:54 EDT 2022

My take on this after soda blasting, barrier coating, and 2 coats of Pettit Hydrocoat with added Irgarol is that ablative paints don’t work. Had growth in the same season. Then paint reps shared that ablative paints don’t work on sailboats, they don’t go fast enough. Its a scam. It was a bad year on the Chesapeake that year. Had to have divers come often. The divers, my friends, and paint people tell me Trinidad is the best, but you have to take all of the ablative off to put on the hard paint. I need to pull it this year, so will use Odyssey 45% that I got for $100 a gallon. I don't have time to do more. I may be moving to the West from Maryland at some point sooner than later anyway, so will consider  giving the boat to a friend in Maine for its next sea life.

Cheers,

Mike Norcross
Escape #318
South River, MD (Annapolis)