[C38] Engine starting problems- update

Vassili Valayannopoulos vassilival.boston at gmail.com
Sun May 14 21:45:41 EDT 2023

Hello Catalina friends

This is an update on the topic I posted a few months ago. During winter I
was able to have the injection pump and the injectors rebuilt.

 I put everything back together with the help of a friend but still the
engine won’t start. We are getting fuel to the injectors but don’t know if
pressure is built in the cylinders. We tried to finetune the injectors but
all of a sudden the engine wouldn’t  even turn (first time since this whole
issue started). We removed the injectors that were covered in rust in just
a few days suggesting that there is water in the cylinders.

The engine seems still pretty stuck, we even tried to turn it by hand and
it’s quite impossible.
We suspect 2 things:

1) hydrolock (surprising at this stage, since the beginning we only started
the engine with the seacock closed) and not sure why we wouldn’t be able to
turn the engine by hand. I have been adding oil directly to the cylinders
hoping to expel the remaining water and treat the rust

2) bad starter; we haven’t explored this yet as it is quite hard to reach.
Any thoughts on how to troubleshoot this?

Any ideas on what happened hear and how to move forward would be more than
welcome.

Many thanks!
Vassili

sailing on Naftaki, Boston, MA