[C38] Universal 5424 Charging problems

Rob Cornelsen robcornelsen at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 9 10:39:10 EDT 2005

Last weekend we decided to use the autopilot to steer
as we powered from the far side of the Bay back into
Solomon’s Island.  As we entered the Patuxent River,
we switched on our running lights as it was getting
dark.  By the time, we returned to our slip, the
battery was completely drained.

Our Catalina 38 has the original universal 5424
engine.  I checked the ammeter on the engine panel and
the alternator appears to be putting out zero to two
amps.  This is well below the 51 amps that it is rated
for.

I checked on line at Torresen Marine and a new
alternator is about $500.00 with freight.   This was
quite a shock since auto parts stores sell alternators
in the $50.00 price range.

Does anyone know if an auto alternator is compatible
with the Universal 5424?  In addition, is there
anything else that I need to check before replacing
the alternator?

Thanks,

Rob Cornelsen
Catalina 38 #223