[C38] three blade fixed propeller

Charles Finn charles at finn.ws
Wed Oct 26 10:15:21 EDT 2005

That's the good news!  The keel stub shows no damage and of course I
checked all the keel bolts immediately after grounding as well as after
haul out.  I do have the "catlaina smile" but even that shows no
change.  Finally, perhaps the most important place to look after a
grounding while in forward motion is the aft area of the keel stub (for
compresssion) and that also looks great.  I have a plastic hammer and
have also sounded the keel stub with solid results.  So, my conclusion
is that this is either a fairing job (something I have done several
times over the years on several boats) or a keel shortening opportunity.
The Mighty Quinn largely stays on Lake Champlain which is not too
constricting seeing at the lake is about 140 miles long, but it would be
nice to more easily access other waters such as the St. Lawrence Seaway
and the 1000 Islands area of Lake Ontario.  I could even visit Bob
Porter down in Oswego!  My issue is other than trailering, I would have
to motor the Erie Canal for perhaps a week to get to these areas.  There
is another canal that leads out of the northern most part of the lake
and can be navigated in less than a day, but it can only handle depths
of a maximum of six feet.  In addition, I plan to sail to the Carribbean
in the next few years and am a bit worried regarding a 6' 9" keel.  As
you can see, I am thinking out loud here and welcome any and all comment!

Charles Finn
Mighty Quinn  #114
Lake Champlain