[C38] Universal 5424 Charging problems

empty empty1 at ntlworld.com
Sun Oct 9 14:05:05 EDT 2005

Rob,
The Goose has the original universal deisel, and her alternator was in need
of replacement in October 2004 after being laid up in St Pete. The one the
boat yard used to replace it is rated at 70amps and cost about $90. A friend
has a C&C 40 with a universal deisel. When his alternator failed in Michigan
he took it to the local NAPA auto part store. The found the equivalent
compatible replacement in their catalogue and delivered it to the boat next
day. I seem to remember it cost about $100 or so. He then sent away the
failed one for rebuilding, which he now keeps as a spare.
If you have a NAPA or similar nearby, that might be a good starting point.
I'm afraid adding the word 'maritime' to a piece of equipment is a notorious
way of hiking the price.Volvo in the UK are famous for this. I once had to
replace my alternator- the 'genuine' volvo part was £140. The local auto
parts supplier looked it up and found all the Volvo alternators were made by
Bosch and Seimens.He supplied it for £48. In other words I would have paid
£92 for a blue cardboard box with Volvo in white letters written on it.
Look forward to seeing you at end of April when we bring The Goose up to
Solomon's Island.
Mark.