[C38] Universal 5424 Charging problems

D McC cat38skip at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 9 14:37:54 EDT 2005

Rob,
Afew years ago I looked into the marine vs auto
alternator differences and it seems that there are 2
primary differences. There is a spark arrestor screen
in the marine units. This is of little use to those of
us with diesel motors. Also the marine units usually
have a nice powder coat paint job. I am not sure that
these 2 additions are worth the extra hundreds of
dollars. The various alternator cases, mounts and
internal regulators are exactly the same. External
regulators may be marinized with plastic coatings on
circuits to protect against moisture. I agree with the
posting to get a copy of Nigel Calders' book and test
your charging circuit.

Fair Winds,
Dave
SV Pretty Lady