[C38] Universal 5424 Charging problems

Tom T. tdtron at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 10 09:27:55 EDT 2005

Hello Russ,

I have not heard of a marine alternator having a higher charging rate than
a similar automotive unit but that is an interesting thought though.  Any
alternator that is regulated above about 13.8 volts will percolate the
battery causing loss of electrolyte.  Overcharging will shorten the battery
life, especially if the electrolyte gets below the top of the plates.

I think overcharging is more of a problem than undercharging.  A battery
charged with a "float" charger will charge almost to full charge but the
battery will last much longer and with almost no maintenance.  Some float
chargers will charge to maximum charge but they just won't do it as fast as
a charger having a slightly higher output voltage.

The alternator does need to be voltage matched to the specific type of
battery for optimum charging and most quality "smart chargers" allow the
charging voltage to be adjusted to the type of battery being charged.
Unless you bypass the built in charger in the alternator and substitute it
with a remote alternator regulator, I would just live with the built in
regulator on the alternator if the output is anywhere near 13.8 volts.
When is the last time you heard of anyone overcharging or undercharging the
battery in their car by driving?

I think the more critical charger is the shore charger because that charger
will be on-line most of the time. Overcharging at the dock on an unattended
boat can cause more battery damage than running your engine when you use
the boat occasionally, even if the alternator regulator has a high output
voltage.  Anyway, that's my two cents.

Tom Troncalli
The Renata #95
St. Pete, Fla