[C38] three blade fixed propeller

Philip Gay eyriepg at msn.com
Mon Oct 10 23:03:49 EDT 2005

I commented before about my experience with my Yanmar 3GM30, but will repeat.  My engine is rated at 27hp max at 3600rpm but 24hp continuous at 3600rpm.  Its displacement is 1 litre.

I was overpropped with my folding Martec and could do 6.8 kts at 2800rpm, but I burned oil like crazy on a 100 hour old engine.  I could do about 7 knts at 3600rpm.  I repropped with a 3 blade Maxprop and now do only 6.2 kts at 2800 rpm but can get close to 7.5 knts at 3600 rpm.  I have more potential speed but cruise slower.

However, let 2 months of slime build up on the bottom, even with a clean prop, my cruise speed drops to 5.7 knots.

BTW, I bought the Maxprop for better reverse power and hoped less prop walk.  Well it gives much better reverse power AND much more prop walk.  I believe the only way to get away from prop walk is to go to a Saildrive.

Phil Gay
C38 049 Que Linda
Everett, WA